Our library is a welcoming, engaging place where students are encouraged and supported to develop their BEST literacy and reading skills for their future.
Botany Downs is blessed with a lovely library space FULL of wonderful books! Our collection includes: picture books, fiction (junior, middle and senior), non-fiction, magazines, graphic novels and sophisticated picture books. Each class has a scheduled library visit each week when they develop library and research skills, and find books to read at home and school.
- The library is open before school (from 8.30am) and at lunchtime.
- Books are issued for two weeks.
- ALL books/magazines must be issued via the library issues computer.
- Children usually return their books during their weekly class visit, but may also return books before school or during lunchtime.
- Books must be returned either to the librarian on duty or in the returns slot at the issue desk so they can be scanned through the computer. Please be considerate to other students and return your books on or before the due date.
- If you haven’t finished reading your book by the due date, you are welcome to renew it – bring your book to the library and ask the librarian to renew it for you.
- There is no charge for overdue books, however if a book is lost or badly damaged, parents/caregivers will be asked to pay for a replacement copy.
Year 0 – 3 – may borrow 1 book at a time.
Year 4 – may borrow 2 books at a time.
Year 5 & 6 – may borrow 3 books at a time.
Students in Year 5 have the opportunity to become Student Librarians. Being a Student Librarian means helping to run the library at lunchtime.
Radio NZ – stories to listen to online
Storytime Online – stories to watch online
Kids Books NZ – reviews
Children’s Books Daily – reviews and reading tips
The Sapling – reviews, book lists and news
Read NZ (previously New Zealand Book Council) – New Zealand authors and events
Auckland Libraries – catalog search and events
Kiwi Kids News – child friendly news and current affairs