COVID-19 UPDATES

Announcement : 

SchooI Board Parent Election 2022 – nominations close on Wednesday 3 August at 12 noon. Election day is Wednesday 7 September. Please follow this link for more information: https://www.botanydowns.school.nz/bot/

Newsletter – Week 11, Term 1 2024

Week 11, Term 1, 2024

Kia ora koutou Parents and BDS Whānau,   

We only have three more days of Term One before our school holidays start on Friday. This term has been full with our tamariki engaged in their learning and making the most of all opportunities available at BDS.

Last week one of our Year 6 classes and three of our Year 5 classes moved into the new build. It looks amazing and is very exciting. Please note the school board has emailed all whānau their decision about our Drop Off bay opening in Term Two in the mornings. This will now be called ‘Drop and Go’ and we look forward to having this open again. 

We are looking forward to our ANZAC assembly on Thursday, which will be replacing our usual Friday assembly this week. There will be a 9.30am start and you are welcome to attend. Poppies will be available for a gold coin donation from our school hall deck, before school.

We had a very successful swimming sports at Lloyd Elsmore last week. Our students certainly showed our values and were showing their Botany Best at all times. We are very proud of all our participants. Thank you to Mr D’Ambrosio and his team (Mr Insley, Mrs Hatley Owen and Mrs Jeffs) for organising the Swimming Sports for the Howick and Pakuranga Principal Association (HPPA) at Lloyd Elsmore.  

From the staff at BDS we wish you a safe and happy holiday.

Ngā mihi nui,
Vicki Parkins, Principal – Tumuaki (vickip@botanydowns.school.nz)

Coming up @ BDS…

Wed 10 Apr – No Uniform Day
Thurs 11 Apr – ANZAC Assembly, 9.30am
Fri 12 Apr – Last Day of Term 1
Mon 29 Apr – First Day of Term 2
Week 2 – Book Week
Fri 10 May – Book Character Dress-Up Day
Tues 21 May – HPPA Netball Day
Wed 22 May – PhotoLife Class & Individual Photos
Thurs 23 May – PhotoLife Sibling Photos
Fri 24 May – HPPA Rugby Day 1
Sun 26 May – PTA Bricks, Books and Bake Sale
Tues 28 – HPPA Netball Day 2
Wed 29 May – HPPA Girls Soccer Day 1
Fri 31 May – Teacher Only Day

** click here to view more of the school calendar **

Office Hours During School Holidays

The school will close on Friday 12th April and will reopen Monday 29th April 2024.

During the holidays the office will be open for new enrolments on the following dates from 9.00am until 12.00pm or you can email office@botanydowns.school.nz for an appointment or enrolment pack.

Tuesday 23rd April 
Wednesday 24th April 
Friday 26th April

** please note: the office will be closed Thursday 25th April – ANZAC DAY 

SCHOOL NEWS

ANZAC Assembly & Poppies

Whānau are welcome to attend our special ANZAC assembly on Thursday, starting at 9.30am.

Poppies will be available for a gold coin donation from our school hall deck, before school. These donations support our local Returned Services Association (RSA). Thank you for your support.

Book Week – Week 2, Term 2

Special Guest Authors – We are excited to welcome two award-winning New Zealand children’s authors to our school for Book Week. Heather Haylock will visit our Y1 – 3 teams and Anne Kayes will visit our Y4 – 6 teams.

Book Character Dress-up Day – The last day of Book Week is a celebration of our favourite book characters. Get your thinking hats on – who will you dress up as this year? Please remember that a costume doesn’t have to be expensive or bought from the store – get creative! The following links might give you just the inspiration you are looking for:

30 Last Minute World Book Day costumes to make without a needle: 
www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/family-kids-news/30-last-minute-world-book-10976213

82 Last minute easy World Book costumes: www.madeformums.com/toddler-and-preschool/last-minute-easy-world-book-day-costumes/ 

38 Best Book Character Costumes That Are Easy to DIY: 
www.goodhousekeeping.com/holidays/halloween-ideas/g22127013/book-character-costumes/

Scholastic Book Fair – A ‘pop-up book store’ in the library with a wide range of exciting books and stationery for all ages and interests. It will be open each morning 8.30-9.00am and
Mon-Thurs afternoon 2.30-3.30pm. Payment by EFTPOS or cash. Every purchase made helps to provide the school with books and resources for the library and classrooms – thank you for your support.

PLUS: Te Hikoi Korero Storywalk, fun lunchtime activities, competitions, and classroom activities!

Help!

Does anyone have a suitable drone and could come to school to operate it to take a very cool photo during Book Week? Please contact Joanne Hughson joanneh@botanydowns.school.nz if you can help. Thank you!

Walking School Bus

Join our Walking School Bus – Starting in Week 2, Term 2

• Leaving Pajaro Place at 8am every morning
  • Walking along Millhouse Drive and into Windsong through the walkways to school – picking up children along the way.
  • An afternoon walking school bus can be considered along the same route if needed.

Children and Parents:

• It’s a fun, social, and healthy way to get to school 
  • Arrive at school energised and ready to learn 
  • Learn about road safety 
  • Less cars on the roads around school

To join the bus contact Nancy Marston 0210 714912 or Kylee Holmes kyleeh@botanydowns.school.nz (Room 4 teacher).

If you would like to be part of a Walking School Bus that follows another route please contact us to organise this. We would love to have more routes and more whanau and tamariki walking to school.

HPPA Swimming Sports

On Friday the 5th of April Mr D and Mrs Jeffs took 22 students to the HPPA school swimming competition. They swam against students from seven other schools. We had a number of students that made the finals for their events and our relay teams did really well. 

Results

9 Yr Boys Freestyle Champ    Oscar W 2nd,  Isaac S 3rd
9 Yr Girls Freestyle  Champ    Skyla-Lee K 1st
8 Yr Boys Freestyle  Champ   Reuben T 2nd,  Harley T  3rd

10 Yr Boys Freestyle Novice   Gabriel D 2nd
9 Yr Boys Freestyle Novice     Ron D 1st
8 Yr Boys Freestyle Novice     David-Lee 2nd

9 Yr Boys Backstroke  Justin Q 3rd

10Yr Boys Breaststroke  Matthew Z 2nd, Ian L 3rd
9 Yr Boys Breaststroke   Oscar W 1st, Isaac S 3rd
9 Yr Girls Breaststroke   Leanna X 3rd

Relays:
9 Yr B  Justin, Ron, Skylar and Arianna 1st
9 Yr A  Isaac, Oscar, Leanna, Skyla 2nd
10 Yr B Gabriel, Krish, Amelia, Makyla  2nd
10 Yr A Ian, Matthew, Ian, Gemma, April 4th 

PTA Notices…

Second Hand Uniform Sale: Friday 3rd May, 2.45pm – 3.30pm
This will be held under the junior canopy. If you have any uniforms to donate please drop them into the pink box in the school office before this date.

Fruju Friday
This week is the final Fruju Friday until the weather warms up again in Term 4. Join us outside the staffroom at 3pm. Payment can be made via Kindo or cash.

Wacky Wednesday No Uniform Day
This week is Wacky Wednesday No Uniform Day, choose something wacky and fun to wear all while raising money for our school. Don’t feel like being wacky? Any clothes of your choice are just fine.  Donate $2 via Kindo or give cash to your class teacher.

Bricks Show, Bricks Show, Books and Baking Fundraiser: Sunday 26th May, 10am – 3pm
Please remember to bring in your donations of pre-loved books as well as items for raffle baskets.  Items can include any non-perishable grocery items (eg crackers, biscuits, chocolate, snack food, tea, coffee sachets, sauces etc), or health and beauty products (eg hair products, moisturiser, face mask, body wash, hand cream etc).

Members of the PTA will be outside the hall each day this term from 8.30am – 8.50am to collect donations.

To help with our planning please complete the return slip and give it to your child’s class teacher as soon as possible if you are able to help on the day, or if you would like to receive boxes to bring in baking for the event.  

Thank you for your support.  Any questions please contact us at pta@botanydowns.school.nz

Fun & Learning @ BDS

Year 1, Room 9: Room 9 read ANZAC Ted, and wrote beautiful stories after reading the book together.

Luna Lopez Woo – ANZAC Ted has 1 eye. He also has a hat. ANZAC Ted has 1 ear. 

Uriel Su’a – ANZAC Ted has a hat and he has 1 eye. He has a green jacket. 

Baghel Singh – ANZAC Ted. He has 1 eye and 1 ear. He is brown and peach and yellow. ANZAC Ted was brave and went to war. He is scary. He has a green jacket.

Year 6, Room 25:

Waterslide
I hear them. The monster children, you can barely even call them children. Some people see cute, kind, innocent kids, but I see the truth. I see their mischievous smiles and hear their psychotic laughs. They’re slipping their lifejackets on. Preparing to slide down, while probably screaming in the process.

They start making their way up the stairs grinning from ear to ear. They line up, waiting for the parent helper to turn the water on. The cold water runs down my back. It feels like I’m in Antarctica. The first person sits on the log just above me, watching for the signal.

I try my absolute best to make myself as bumpy as possible so that she doesn’t want to go on me again. I feel the weight of the child as she slides down my back. At first, she goes a little slow, but then she starts going pretty fast, jumping a little bit because of all my bumps. I find it gross that I have to have people sit on me as a job. I DON’T EVEN GET PAID! The girl on my back is pretty heavy. The girl is as heavy as a boulder. She hits the ice-cold water, landing with a humongous splash.SPLISH, SPLOSH, SPLASH!

As the girl starts making her way up the stairs I feel the weight of the next person. As I prepare for the pain the next girl slides down. I don’t find myself paying attention. Instead, I find today pretty boring. Nobody is screaming on their way down or making big splashes. When the next person sits on my little log I turn my head expecting to see another eager girl, but instead, I see a boy that is quite scared.

Ten minutes after the sign is shown the shy boy finally goes down my bumpy back. He’s going really slow, stopping himself every time he starts going fast. I find it amusing that such a boy is so scared of me. I can’t control my laughter, so I burst out. Not even caring that I start making myself so slippery that the boy starts screaming with panic until….I hear his ear-piercing screech. My ears can’t take it anymore and I almost think that he has made me deaf. He drops down because of my steep part (I love it when they scream because of this). I hate my job.  Annoying screams, and dirty hands touching my back and legs. I ESPECIALLY hate when they sit on me. LIKE! Are they trying to suffocate me?

I’m not a cat! I only have one life. These kids should be glad that I’m not throwing them off me.

I think I should quit my job. Like this is the worst job ever! Most of the kids don’t even scream.

By Skyla

ANZAC Art…

Room 1

Room 2

Room 24

Children Turning Five – Enrolment 

If your child is turning five in the next six (6) months please ensure you enrol them as soon as possible. Our roll is steadily growing and we need to plan for classes and teachers during the year.

Please collect your enrolment pack from the office, or email office@botanydowns.school.nz 

Joanne Hughson DP/SENCo – Year 0-3 (joanneh@botanydowns.school.nz)

LIBRARY NEWS

School Holidays @ Auckland Libraries

Looking for some fun, FREE events during the holidays? Remember to check out what is happening in our local libraries:

Howick

Botany Downs

Highland Park

COMMUNITY NOTICES

HJ Elite Academy – After School Soccer

Registration for our Term 2 after school soccer programme is now open. To register click here.

Pay the kindo way: https://botanydowns.school.nz/kindo/

Copyright © Botany Downs Primary School 2024
Click here to unsubscribe.
Powered by KiwiSchools 4.0